I get asked about my favorite vegetarian restaurants a lot, so below is a list of my favorite veggie/vegan restaurants in Manhattan in no particular order. I’ve also indicated if the restaurant is vegan (ND-for “no dairy”) or just vegetarian (V).
– Urban Vegan Kitchen (ND) – Everything is good but my personal favorites are the breakfast sandwich and the avocado ranch salad with buffalo fried seitan.
– Le Botaniste (ND)
– West-Bourne (V) – My go-to is the Mushroom Reuben with a Kin non-alcoholic cocktail.
– Quantum Leap (V) – They have a robust menu but my fav is the Vegan Pineapple Up Side Down Pancakes.
–Red Bamboo (ND)
– Go Zen (ND) – My favs are the wonton soup, curry noodle soup, and the sweet and sour divine (which is sweet and sour fake-chicken and the bomb). Go Zen is right next to Red Bamboo so it’s easy to go to either if there is a wait to be seated.
– Sacred Chow (ND) – My go-to is the Tempeh Reuben and Black Olive Seitan.
– Marty’s V Burger (ND)
– Franchia (ND) – Everything is good here but some of my favs are Spicy Kimchi Pancakes, the soy ‘duck’ wrap, and Singapore Curry Angel Hair.
Upper West Side
– Blossom (ND)
– Double Zero (ND) – This is one of Matthew Kenney’s restaurants and it’s my favorite vegan pizza spot.
– Bar Verde (ND) – This is another Matthre Kenney restaurant (he has three right next to each other in East Vill). I love the vegan nachos.
Lower East Side
– Jajaja (ND) – Best tacos and frozen margs.
– Petisco (ND) – kitty-corner from Jajaja, Petisco is one of my all-time fav vegan spots. I love everything on the menu.
– Orchard Grocer (ND) – I love this place so much and wish they had a location in Soho. They have daily sandwich specials that are amazing.
– Hangawi (ND) – I love the ambiance of this place. Be prepared to take your shoes off at the door before being seated at a traditional Korean table.
– Cinnamon Snail (ND) – Located in The Pennsy, I fell in love with the Cinnamon Snail several years before when they just had a food truck. They have great donuts and sandos.
The following are not solely vegetarian or vegan restaurants but they have some good options as well:
- Vandal – Amazing ambiance with fun art and robust veggie options.
- Saxon & Parole – They have one of the best Impossible Burgers in the city.
- Umami Burger in Brookfield Place is another one of my fav spots for a good Impossible Burger.
- Grey Dog – My favorite is the spicy caesar salad with tofu.
- Blockheads – Surprisingly they have a whole vegan section on their menu.
- Taco dumbo – The vegan chorizo tacos are bomb.
- 12 Chairs – Good spot in Soho for nice sit down with Mediterranean food. They have the best hummus in the city.
- Counter/Chef’s Club in Nolita- Though the chefs and menu changes every few months, there are always usually great veggie options.